Darkest Hour (2017) has won the movie voting! Vote for the next movie now https://warzone.gg/movievoting

Sign in to follow this  
ZeRo

Garry's Mod moving forward.

Original Post:

The time has finally come where it is time to say goodbye to the Garry's Mod servers.

Over the period of almost 3 years, we have been at the forefront of server features and server content in general.

However as of today, the management team have come to the decision to close the Garry's Mod servers 1 month from now as we no longer wish to continue going forward with Garry's Mod in general. Our hands are extremely tied due to the engine limitations, and the lack of communication from Facepunch on certain feature releases such as Chromium and x64 and along with that, a lack of enthusiasm on my part to continue to develop features for the server.

As of now, the planned meetups are still going to happen, with more to happen in further years to come, the game servers will remain online until 31st March to honor any monthly VIP subscriptions which are left, any automatic subscriptions have been cancelled from our end, Store purchases are now disabled.

We will also continue to run weekly events such as the game nights and movie nights.

I will be doing a final radio show on the 30th at 8PM until 10PM.

The following services will remain online:

1. Discord
  2. Teamspeak
  3. Website (For informational purposes only e.g Meetups and events)

As for submitted content, as agreed by the terms and conditions set out, these are still in ownership of WarZone Gaming, however any unaccepted workshop entries are still owned by their respective submitter. 

I'd like to thank everyone who has been Involved with WarZone on Garry's Mod, whether you only joined a week ago, or even back in 2013 when it first started.

We still do plan to aim for S&box as and when that is ready, however with no information on a release, we have no idea when that might be.

Stats, bans, inventory items etc will be remaining if the servers were to ever return, however this may not happen.

EDIT: The community is staying, however the servers will be shutting down in a month's time.

We've received a lot of feedback from members of the Community with the latest Announcement, and after hearing Feedback and discussing more options in Management, we've reconsidered our path and are ready to change our approach to a lighter, easier to manage, and more cost-effective set of servers for Garry's Mod with a Legacy Approach.

WZ Legacy will still see the shutdown of several features and servers, however the following servers will still remain online:

• Surf
  • Surf Deathmatch
  • Gungame
  • Bunny Hop
  • Skin Testing Environment

As well as this, new content will not be actively developed. Community Cases and bug-fixes will still be in active development, but new gameplay features will no longer be actively committed to. The above servers are very functional as they are, so likely won't require much attention for the future. There may be possible changes to current services to better fit the Legacy system in the future.

Some big benefits come with this; Moderation will be much easier and more common, costs to run WarZone can be cut massively, and players won't lose all of the Servers.

We'll be focusing on the Community much more, but in the future we have options to still look into games such as TF2 and CSGO, while keeping Garry's Mod partially open and maintained in response to the Community feedback.

• Like 1
  • Good Coder 9

It was a good run boys had a blast with this community will never Forget the wonderful times we played and this community growing up 

It's been an honour to contribute to the community as much as I have. I would hope to see them return, but I completely understand if not. So long, GMod, and thanks for all the skins.

If you do plan on that TF2 server, I'm always available to help.

Edited by Chaotix

It's been great playing on warzone, I'm pretty sad to see the Gmod server closing. But I understand

• Like 1

Rest in flamingos, gamer server, may you CHAPPiE on in heaven.

This gives me conniptions. I had a good time boys.

FacePunch.png

Well, this is it for the servers then, huh? 

Honestly I've had a great time. Over my one and a half years or so of playing on the server I've made many friends on the servers, learned many new things, and in some shape way or form managed to become admin. It's sad to hear that the servers will be going down, but hopefully there will be a future in s&box when/if that releases, for now only time will tell I assume. Anyways, it was a blast. Thanks zero and all of the management team for making this awesome server and giving thousands of people the ability to play on it. Game on, you all. 

Soo many fucking memories. actually breaks my heart a little to hear this all. Ever since i joined in early 2017 i have been made soo welcome to this community from these gmod servers. ive met soo many people, opened soo many cases, listen to soo many radio shows, and every single moment i felt welcome. through the thickest and thin, we got through every single situation.  When i applied for staff, to make my mod position for gmod, and get through helping in every little way i wanted because every player made me feel soo welcome. every single day was great on here. which explains my 1000 hour playtime. 

back in staff, every single staff member for gmod made me welcome and fit me to my position, and i was raring to go for every single situation, and every single person i helped even the slightest by what i did in a staff position made me feel good inside, because i want to always give it back, and the players of gmod didnt just give me a community, it gave me a new family. when i became an admin, i wanted to increase the amount of shit i did because i wanted to. then to be placed in a wonderful spot as senior admin made a good time. even through the shame of having some others ruin the position through all devices. i had such a hard time then, and mentally i started to decline because i wanted to please everyone whilst dealing with strggles of my own, which still riddle me sometimes. i wanted to be useful

when this expanded into me being one of the first few people in the newly expanded radio presenters, i was overjoyed as its what i wanted to do for soo long, and i was given a chance, and for people to enjoy it when i did my show, i loved it all. every song, every comp, every shoutout and every single message, you all made it what it was and it was an overjoying thing to do, no matter the energy it took from me. i apologise i couldnt give the radio a goodbye this week, and i hope i can be pardoned from such as i would have loved to give the servers a final goodbye in senses that youd never believe

being a content creator has been a new learning curve for me, skinning was new to me, and to get my first plan accepted made me happy that i could contribute to this all. and this expanded to me learning all forms of content, expanding to maps till late 2018. every other content creator is such a huge credit to the community, no matter what the style, every single skin has made the skin wiki much better than csgo could ever try to implement, and you are all blessed with such a phenomenal talent. all of you!!

i wanted to write this long winded thing of a sappy essay style message because i want every single player of gmod to know this. i love every single one of you. youve all made me love this community more and more every day. every single day on the gmod servers has been the best treat of my life, and has gotten me through the worst of times, and created memories i shall cherish. every single player is such a wonderful person, to contribute to this absolute gem of a community. every single personality here is different in the best way, and the harmony in the community is absolutely wonderful.

but as well as this, i want to say a huge thank you to @ZeRo for making the gmod servers in the first place, and contributing to what would be the best community in GMOD period. every single update has built up incredible speed, and new ideas have flooded with each update. i hope you are proud of what youve built from these servers zero, you deserve all the credit i could give ever, and every single person i have gotten closer to along with it. i love you all soo much, for both giving me a chance, and making me feel so welcome.

so we shall advance, hopefully to sandbox, and i hope we get even more greatness out of it. i will continue to plan gamenights as usual, i hope you are all inclined to attend, just to keep the community together and playing games like we all should be. we are gamers after all and youve all made this place what it is.

and so lets prepare one of the last songs of the concert for the servers shall we. let the community live on, but for now it pains me to come to the fact. RIP gmod servers, greatness, friendship and gaming greatness from the best servers ever!

• Friendly 1

I honestly think the Garry's Mod servers were one of the reasons I decided to make a full conversion to PC. Quite happy I did.

Although my experience was cut short, it certainly wasn't short lived.

It was great contributing how I did and playing on the servers. It fed me 700+ hours of blood, gallons of sweat, and maybe even a few tears. idk. I didn't count those.

Either way, I'm sad to see the end now. 

Here's to S&box servers, hopefully.

❤️

As you've all probably read, we're shutting down the Garry's Mod Servers for WarZone. As I was the first GMod Manager in this version of WZ, I thought it'd be worth shedding some light on our reasoning for this.

First off, it's worth noting we decided to go for proper transparency with this. WZ was originally made as a secret project post-OWG shutdown for both legal and community-related issues, but we have some flexibility to be more open with our reasoning this time around.

We decided not to close down WZ as a whole like last time with OWG because there's still a lot here. We've got a really good community, and with Events and Meetups, that's been a strong aspect of WZ. But, to face the facts, GMod is well-past End-of-Life at this point. Well over half of the features we've added or changed over the last few months have been unneeded fixes, engine workarounds, or remakes of content which already exists, but is just badly implemented. Whether it's Source, CS:GO content, or just Garry being a cunt, there are software limitations beyond us. Another aspect is the Playerbase. For example...

DarkRP. We tried DarkRP three times, with plans to make a fourth. With each implementation, new features came along which we thought would bring in plenty of people, and each time the outcome generally headed the same way. The main GMod Playerbase mainly stick to one or a few servers, giving us very little room to grow. For players to enjoy the game, they need to play with other people, and without many people, new players won't join. That's a bad loop to be in.

So we assessed our options, some including changes to the Infrastructure, games, and even the idea of opening Australian Servers (apparently they do well :hyperthonkrotate:). Ultimately, the amount of time, money, and effort needed to make changes substantial enough to tip the scales just isn't worth it for a game that's only going to keep going down. It's taking a toll on ZeRo in a lot of ways, with little to show for it. It's better for us to take the opportunities which are really going to push us forward, and accept that we can put GMod to rest permanently (most likely no relaunch for GMod-based servers).

Another aspect is the clean slate. Although there are many parts of this community which are good, there are some which need to be left behind when (/if) we make the big jump forward into S&Box, or whatever comes next in the future. Systems and mechanics play a big part in this especially when shifting to a new game, but there are movements we can make community-wise. Some people, recently or over longer periods, haven't been healthy for this community. Hotradremixlx popped up recently, but there are some others (hello 👀). There's a very important change in stance moving forward from next month onwards. We won't be a Staff team controlling specific actions under very scrutinised rules any more, until S&Box appears, we'll just be a Community. That Community is entirely within our hands, and the actions we take on it will be more open. Noxious and cynical people could do a lot more damage now, so we need to crack down on that. TL;DR: Toxic cunts likely won't be sitting around for much longer*.

The clean slate also means we have options to possibly give WZ a new lick of paint, maybe even a full rebrand when we make a large shifting change. Whatever we next get into, we'll have a strong first step, and this should help out.

If you haven't already, read this post. Nothing in there is confirmed, hell, we don't even know if that's what comes next. But if it is, that'll give you a fairly solid idea of what we want the future of WarZone Gaming to look like.

To everyone who's played on the GMod servers, as a Staff Member, part of this community, or just someone passing by, we hope you enjoyed, and we're hoping you're looking forward to finding out about our next steps just as much as we are.

*cEnsORshIp??!?/!??//?: No. Censorship would be suppressing genuinely valid negative points or feedback. If your presence in platforms like Discord is solely to try and be a cunt, lolbye. If you're being a cunt, you are very aware of the fact you are. 👀.

Edited by Not Alfred
  • Like 1

Sad to see it gone after so this year and a half, despite some ups and downs which everybody had at some point I had a lot of fun (basically had GMod installed only cause of these servers), and I'm looking forward to see where this goes. Always gonna stay a part of this community which I shared with some precious moments :).

Sad to see it gone after so even that I stayed for like 2 months, despite some ups and downs which everybody had at some point I had a lot of fun (I had Garry's Mod installed only cause of these servers), and I'm looking forward to seeing where this goes.  Always gonna stay a part of this community which I shared with some precious moments :). 

giphy.gif

Edited by ➣︎ProtoX☭

We've received a lot of feedback from members of the Community with the latest Announcement, and after hearing Feedback and discussing more options in Management, we've reconsidered our path and are ready to change our approach to a lighter, easier to manage, and more cost-effective set of servers for Garry's Mod with a Legacy Approach.

WZ Legacy will still see the shutdown of several features and servers, however the following servers will still remain online:

• Surf
  • Surf Deathmatch
  • Gungame
  • Bunny Hop

As well as this, new content will not be actively developed. Community Cases and bug-fixes will still be in active development, but new gameplay features will no longer be actively committed to. The above servers are very functional as they are, so likely won't require much attention for the future. There may be possible changes to current services to better fit the Legacy system in the future.

Some big benefits come with this; Moderation will be much easier and more common, costs to run WarZone can be cut massively, and players won't lose all of the Servers.

We'll be focusing on the Community much more, but in the future we have options to still look into games such as TF2 and CSGO, while keeping Garry's Mod partially open and maintained in response to the Community feedback.

Edited by Not Alfred
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, ZeRo said:

• Surf
  • Surf Deathmatch
  • Gungame
  • Bunny Hop

Good stuff, glad to hear the change of plans; I think this path sounds like a much better middle ground.