The Day the Earth Stood Still (2008) has won the movie voting! Vote for the next movie now https://warzone.gg/movievoting

The WarZone Winter Meetup 2018 is happening from the 22nd to the 27th. Staff activity will be reduced during this period, although it should not effect the Garry's Mod servers.

All information, live streams and pictures from the #wintermeetup2018-live channel will be posted in this section of the website: https://warzone.gg/wintermeetup2018

Holy Ham

Hide & Seek suggestions

So I've played the new gamemode and I want to express my opinion about it where some of you might agree about parts of it.

Firstly, I do think the fall damage is a good idea, but the safe fall height should be slightly increased and some maps have problem where people can fall off the map, especially for seekers because they will get stuck and won't be able to tag hiders.

Secondly, (this is more of mixed ideas) allowing collision between players so that hiders could cooperate and reach spots that hider alone couldn't, but because of that I think the seekers should also tag players and get them added to the seeker team instead of moving them to spectate mode to allow the seekers to cooperate too ( some think this may be abused that seekers can't reach the hiders, but I don't think so. If a player jumps on another one to get to a spot means that one player must be left behind which means seekers have to tag him first and do the same boost). If this idea doesn't work I can give an alternative to use props to get to areas, except to disable collisions of them when grabbed so players wouldn't propsurf.

Lastly, I've seen people bhop and I think it should be disabled since there is a reason why sprinting and stamina exists and it can bypass that. Also it isn't what the gamemode is about ( in fact gamemode should be called tag, not hide and seek :P ).

All in all I'd say I'd like the hide and seek gamemode be changed into a game where cooperation can be used to get more ways to enjoy maps and increase chances of winning while keeping it fun for the seekers too.

Edited by Holy Ham
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Holy Ham said:

Firstly, I do think the fall damage is a good idea, but the safe fall height should be slightly increased and some maps have problem where you can fall of the map, especially if you are a seeker you will be stuck...

I do like the concept of this idea - but gaining fall damage would be fairly useless as it's generally only 1 button to find the hiders and you don't have to give them damage anyway (from what I understand).

Instead of gaining fall damage I think a better way to implement this idea would be to lose some sprinting stamina if you fall from a height. Or to make people walk/sprint slower if fallen from a height.

6 minutes ago, Holy Ham said:

Lastly, I've seen people bhop and I think it should be disabled since there is a reason why sprinting and stamina exists and it can bypass that.

Yep, I'm 99% sure it will be disabled in a future update.

• Agree 1

15 minutes ago, vlodern said:

I do like the concept of this idea - but gaining fall damage would be fairly useless as it's generally only 1 button to find the hiders and you don't have to give them damage anyway (from what I understand).

What I've experienced is that some maps have spots where you need to jump around, avoid falling to get to and falling gets you damaged and falling too much will kill you making you choose a safer path. Falling already does decrease the stamina and in chases I think it is to kinda stop running away without being careful and for seekers to aid in tagging. Oh and seekers shouldn't take fall damage since to tag one hider seeker can possibly lose as much health points as the hider or even die in the proccess, but there isn't only one hider.

Edited by Holy Ham
  • Like 1

I like what is suggested here. Only small issue I see is that if stamina were to be reduced, replacing fall damages, this may cause some areas of maps to be accessed. For example it was found that there are some ways to get in areas where kill plains should exist. This would mean both a hider and seeker would be trapped down there, preventing round progress. If there was a way to change this, it would be good, but as far as I'm aware, most maps cannot be changed for this. 

Besides this, I think most of that makes some sense, some more than others. But I think the main thing to keep in mind is that this game mode is new and has a ton of opportunities to change and improve to make a balanced experience for all players and all strategies. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Callum (Blazingstardude) said:

if stamina were to be reduced, replacing fall damages, this may cause some areas of maps to be accessed

Well as it is for the moment the fall height doesn't matter since players only take ~10% HP damage per fall. The 1-way areas of maps could have a fix by a command like !spawn or something teleporting the hider or seeker back to spawn allowing the seeker to tag the hider in the area and still come back after. Hiders could have a chance to try again teleporting back to spawn, but they will be in an open area so they will have to find another hiding spot. Also it is important for the hiders to get a !spawn command cooldown in order to not be abused while not for seekers in order to catch the hiders as fast as they can without waiting in 1-way areas...

Edited by Holy Ham

I see what your ideas are, it's like normal Gmod Hide and Seek correct? I think so at least, I love normal version because I am pretty good at it, although now we got bhop which breaks the concept of hide and seek, this now becomes run and catch. A simple game of cat and mouse if you wish. Although, I already suggested this and it seems this version of Hide and Seek, takes off from CSS's version. This is pretty much what it is like, I suggest that if the idea cannot be used, then maybe a separate server for your idea?

• Winner 1

@EmbersOfTheFlame Yeah, kinda. I remember I used to play on some servers where on one of them I got like 300h+ because it was quite different from anything else.. the server had rules where players were allowed to propsurf/exploit the map which made it really fun... trying to look for each exploit in each map was very enjoyable. Especially when you found one and try to do it like a maniac while a seeker runs towards you:D

Edited by Holy Ham

21 hours ago, Holy Ham said:

@EmbersOfTheFlame Yeah, kinda. I remember I used to play on some servers where on one of them I got like 300h+ because it was quite different from anything else.. the server had rules where players were allowed to propsurf/exploit the map which made it really fun... trying to look for each exploit in each map was very enjoyable. Especially when you found one and try to do it like a maniac while a seeker runs towards you:D

Yeah, this is why I like to play this game and prophunt mainly with friends, I usually find great exploits, they're possible for people to get to of course, or I'll give hints to help them. It's great.